Monday, September 27, 2010

Getting ready for MightyMan

Taper time has arrived. It seems like just a couple of weeks ago I was getting ready to race at Timberman. I am feeling ready.

Past couple of workouts were Run 400m, 50 squats, 10 burpees 4x through for time. Finished this in 13:55 which is 1:38 faster than a week ago. As I was running at 10.5mph on the treadmill, I felt like I wasn't flailing like I normally am. These thoughts would be somewhat prophetic yesterday.

Nancy and I signed up for the Fifth Avenue Mile. It was pretty neat to run down the middle of Fifth Avenue from 79th Street to 59th Street. I lined up in my corral as Nancy was in the wave in front of me. My wave was the 40-49 age group. As I looked around I thought to myself, look at all these old guys. Then I thought, that's me! I am that old! The gun went off, the first 1/4 mile was a bit down hill and I was at 1:21 on my watch as I passed the marker. The second 1/4 mile was uphill and I was at 2:50 as I went by. Didn't check at the 3/4 mile mark as I was in full oxygen depletion mode. Hung on the best I could and crossed the finish line for an official time of 5:40 for an avg. speed of 10.58mph. I realize as I am typing this now that my 2nd half mile was as fast as the first half. I am really happy with how fast I was able to go. I placed 68th out of 296 in my 40-44 age group. Although when I looked at the official times, I could have been as high as 63rd or as low as 70th. Nancy finished in 7:09 and was pleased with her time.

We'll head to our friend's Sunny and Emily's Saturday for the packet pickup. Also, we'll be in Hartford, CT on Friday October 8th as Nancy is running the Hartford Marathon the next day with her brother Jon (and fellow Trimax teammate Martin). Any Trimaxers that want to join us for dinner Friday evening, we'd love to see you.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're still racing! Definitely getting the most out of this tri-season! Good for you guys!

    Great time for the mile...that sounds like fun!

    Would love to see you at the marathon, but I will be tending to a new puppy while Max and Sutton are in Cape Cod for a soccer tourny. Wishing Nancy only the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I will see if my husband and I can join for dinner next Friday! Would be fun to meet and break bread with everyone! I will actually be in NYC at the beginning of the week for a conference :)

    ReplyDelete