Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ultra Anyone?

So last night, Nancy our friend Gerrit and I went to see a presentation by Scott Jurek (he of Born to Run fame and one of the world's best ultramarathoners). First off let me say that it was completely inspiring. So much so, Gerrit and I were emailing last night about a 60K race in Central Park this November. I asked him about doing an ultra after doing a couple of 1/2 iron races. He said that if you have sustained a level of effort for a triathlon, you can easily do an Ultra. He had never run more than a marathon before doing his first 50 mile race (he finished 2nd). He said he is not an elite marathoner (2:38 best time, which is pretty darn elite to me). I am thinking maybe I should do a marathon before thinking of doing an Ultra, but I guess if I signed up for a half iron race from the sofa with 5 months to train, how hard can an Ultra be now. I may try and volunteer as a pacer at one this year to see how it goes.

Back to the regularly scheduled workout. 5 Deadlifts at 70% max weight (215lbs.) 10 burpees, 15 squats AMRAP(as many rounds as possible) in 15 minutes. Did this at the gym with Nancy (we got a lot of funny looks). Finished 8 full rounds and on the 9th round did the deadlifts and 4 burpees. Very sore today (especially the hamstrings).

3 comments:

  1. I would definately run a marathon first. I found out the hard way that I have bad running form - doesn't show up until after 15 to 16 miles. I would hate for this to happen to you on a 50 mile run.

    I spoke to a rowing coach that I know who also runs marathons and he was telling me that he has the same issues. Here is an athletics coach who is relearning how to run as he was experiencing pain on his longer distance runs.

    I'm just saying...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm was thinking the same Dan!, after reading http://trailgirl.blogspot.com/2010/03/be-happy.html and email back and foward with her, I'm thinking maybe next year to do the http://ultramanlive.com/, but again, this is being naive about the hole endurance world, not knowing was is all really about.

    The sky is the limit! and we can always ask Max for more special training for this type of events, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan

    Ultrarunning. YIKES!! That is hardcore running alright @ its best. Talk about proper recovery, nutrition etc. etc. This is a whole different world of endurance. Here is CT their is the Jack Bristol Ultra event that has a 50K & 100K each April. People come from all over the world to compete.

    ReplyDelete